Sunday, October 2, 2011

God doesn't ask for easy!

We watched Soul Surfer this week. Have you seen it? Well.......it was something else. My very favorite line was one that Bethany said to her dad after the shark attack. She really wanted to surf again, and her dad was explaining that it wouldn't be easy. She said to him, "I don't need easy. I just need possible." WOW!! What amazing words!

How many times do we ask God for the easy way? A lot. How many times does God ask us to do something easy? Pretty much never. That's not how He operates. We read in Isaiah 55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." Now, let me be clear. I've never tried to do things the easy way. In fact, I often make things harder than they are. But for a long time, I haven't been trying to do them God's way either. I've let so many things get between me and God. That is a miserable way to live because you start sliding out of fellowship with God. Ever heard the saying "if you aren't as close to God as you used to be, who moved?" Yeah, guess who had moved.

Over the last few weeks God has asked me to give up some things. The hardest has been giving up my photography business (um, why couldn't He have asked me to give up watching football??). It actually wasn't hard to obey and decide to honor God that morning at church when I was praying. The hard part was coming home and taking down my photography website, telling some of my photography friends, knowing that God wants me to do photography but as a gift and not a profession. But guess what? His yoke is easy, and His burden is light (Matthew 11:30). I feel a HUGE burden has been lifted. And I am more on fire for God than I have ever been because I got rid of something in my life that was taking time from Him. I know every day I have to take up my cross and follow him (Acts 17:11). You see, this Jesus thing is not a one time decision you make at the altar after a youth event. It is a decision and a commitment you make every single day. So if you are serious about God, forget trying to take the easy road. The best news is that if you are totally sold out to Jesus, you are taking the road that leads to victory!

God, I don't need easy; I just need possible. And we know NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD!

Blessings,
Nakia

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new blog!! Looks wonderful :) _Halcyon from WTM

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't need easy, I just need possible." That is such an awesome statement. Will always remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of our mottos is --We can do hard things. Your blog is super cute and I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Welcome to blogging. I can't wait to read more. And just remember....blogging isn't always easy, but it is always possible. :))

    ReplyDelete